When Inspirato member Kent C. and his family boarded a flight to Hawaii in mid-March, he was looking forward to a relaxing getaway. There were fewer than 10 people in metro Louisville—the airport from which they were flying—who had contracted the newly spreading COVID-19 virus. There also hadn’t been a single case reported in Hawaii.

“We basically thought, ‘Let’s just get there.’ And in the airport some way, somehow, we must have contracted it,” Kent said.

After checking into Inspirato residence Nanea on Hawaii’s Big Island, Kent, his wife, and their four young sons had two carefree days of vacation before the symptoms struck.

“We all got sick—the kids were coughing really badly and congested. My wife was the most heavily impacted and had a wide variety of symptoms,” he said. “I had significant fatigue but no cough, so all of us basically started experiencing some mishmash of COVID symptoms all at the same time.”

(Photo courtesy of Kent C.)

While Kent and his family ultimately never got tested for the virus—they were told that the limited amount of tests on the island were only available to seniors—they were all showing textbooks signs, he said.

As the family was dealing with their illness, Inspirato began shutting its properties down. Deciding they didn’t want to risk getting anyone else sick by boarding a plane for home, Kent and his family made the decision to quarantine in Nanea after speaking with Inspirato Executive Vice President of Member Services Michele Delman.

Michele said to focus on getting healthy, that they had our back, we’ll figure out something that works from a cost perspective and you can stay in that house as long as you want to. The immediate psychological relief that act of generosity provided to us was tremendous.

Kent C.Inspirato member

As soon as the symptoms took hold, Kent called the family’s Destination Concierge, Stacy, to let her know to keep herself and housekeeping staff as far away as possible. She quickly helped put them in contact with a traveling, on-call doctor on the island, who was fantastic, Kent said. The doctor was helping them with their symptoms via phone to help prevent spread, but the family couldn’t find a thermometer anywhere. That’s when Stacy jumped in again.

“Stacy called around, drove around, and found what basically felt like the only thermometers on the island,” Kent said, laughing. She was able to deliver fresh masks to the family, too.

“Stacy checked on us every day, twice a day, morning and evening,” he said. “If we needed something—which we’d try to limit, of course— she’d swing by and drop it off in the garage.”

Kent said the home’s golf carts were a lifesaver; they allowed them to be outside without being around other people.

But when it came to entertaining themselves within the home, “it was tricky,” Kent said. “Thank goodness we had a pool.”

He and his sons found an empty flower pot in the backyard that they turned into a makeshift basketball hoop, taking shots from the pool—by the time they left, the brand-new foam basketball they’d brought had been shredded in half completely from so much use.

In all, the family spent 19 days quarantined in Nanea. At the advice of the doctor, they waited until each family member had been fever and symptom-free for at least 48 hours before boarding their flight home.

With the help of his Care team, Michele, Stacy, and the doctor, Kent’s grateful that Inspirato staff rolled with the punches to accommodate his family during their quarantine, taking things day by day.

“I feel like I owe Inspirato so much for how we were treated through that,” he said.

Post a Comment